Pages

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Up Date on the Injury from the 3 Gallon Jug

After 5 long days of lying in the bed, on the floor, rolling around in pain, taking everything from Tylenol to Vicodin, I am finally feeling better. Not good enough to get to cardio-fit class but good enough to get up, eat, put some cloths on, sit at the computer and type. Good thing is, I lost 1 pound. I do not recommend putting one's back out just to lose weight but it was probably muscle and water combined since my appetite was completely shut down. But it still feels like a win.


I saw my Naturopathic Doctor last week. Oh she is just wonderful. We had a nice chat about my improvement. SO...she increased my medications. The goal is to get my EF to 51%. I have my work cut out for me. Now, it feels like I have a small pharmacy in my bedroom. Emotionally, this is taxing. When you look at my bedroom, it looks like a sick person lives in there. Oh wait, I am the sick person who lives in there. I was thinking, in order to make me feel emotionally better about the state of my sleeping quarters, I would visit IKEA some time tomorrow and purchase a little container and a small chest to house my pharmaceutical items. Things may be looking emotionally up.


On the Nutrition Tip
A couple of weeks ago, I decided I would try something new. Seven Grain Crispy Tender (I'm meat-free) by Gardein. One serving, which is about 2 to 3 nuggets, is only 90 calories. There is no cholesterol, no sugar, 9 grams of carbohydrates and 9 grams of protein. And the best part, a serving only has 290 mg of sodium. Oh happy day, it meets my dietary requirements. Now to see if they taste good.

OH, MY, THEY DO!!!
They have the consistency and taste of a chicken nugget. Not the nasty ones at Mc Donald's from what I remember 20 years ago, but more like the crispy chicken nuggets that you make yourself without all the frying. I would recommend this product for everyone. Unless you are allergic to something on the ingredient list, listed on the back of package like soy or wheat.

I found Gardein, Seven Grain Crispy Tenders in the freezer section of Whole Foods Market. The cost, $4.99. Not bad for 5 servings.

On the Recipe Tip
For the last 8 days, when I can, I have made myself whole wheat pasta, restaurant style. What is restaurant style you ask?

You take your favorite pasta, mine right now is Trader Joe's Organic Whole Wheat Penne Pasta, I love that it keeps its shape while double cooking, and you boil enough for 5 or 6 servings. Keep that in the refrigerator until you need to use it.

When you need to use it, you take it out of the frig and place it on the counter...I am sure I don't need to be this literal. Sorry, I get carried away sometimes lol. SO, any who, you get your pasta. Heat a pan, medium-heat and put a little olive oil in the pan. Let it get hot. Saute up some spinach, broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic, kale, cherry tomatoes, basil, arugula, really anything produce. This will probably dry out in your pan before you finish cooking so, if this happens, add a little water and sort of steam, cook, saute the produce around. Now you can choose any produce and any amount for any combination. My staples are usually spinach, garlic, broccoli, and mushrooms. Once this is cooked down, add your pasta. This takes about 10 minutes total. You can add a little pasta sauce. Enough to coat the produce and pasta. Maybe 3 tablespoons at the most. Cook this for about 3 more minutes and VOILA.

You have restaurant pasta!
Everything is coated in your favorite pasta sauce and everything tastes seasoned and tasty.

Enjoy your Tuesday!!!

1 comment:

  1. I think you should keep your meds in a spice rack.

    "Restaurant style" pasta. Mmm, sounds good. I want to get one of those beat-up skillets they use in our cafeteria on pasta day and practice the flip-and-catch move.

    ReplyDelete