Pages

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Happy Anniversary

These last couple of months have been interesting to say the least. Summer has finally arrived in Seattle although once every three days, there is rain. Not full-blow, stormy weather, like it is across the rest of the country but marine mist, if you will. Sort of a cool front mixed with a rainy behind.
Lets talk turkey about my heart. As of last month, my numbers, well my EF percentages, we not impressive. I would have to say this is largely my fault. I started decreasing my meds on my own, without doctor's consent. Now my numbers were not horrible. I did receive a slight increase, "marginal increase" my doctor's words, in my EF. I did not make him aware of my resistance to medical authority. I thought it would create a less than pleasant visit. So I kept that bit of information to myself.
Now since then, I started acupuncture and massage therapy. I love it. It's $35 a session. Now who could pass that up. So far, my shoulder feels better, my tummy is not as troubled and I am more at ease. It is difficult to know if this "feeling better" is due to Chinese medicine however, I am going with it. I feel better, particularly after my appointments, and even if it is the placebo effect, I gladly welcome it to my weekly routine of medical treatment.

Happy Anniversary to Me!!!

I have passed the one year mark since this wonderful condition yanked me from my life. Oh no, I am not bitter or angry, just longing for the life I had before.
The independence. The baking. The community involvement. The parties. The people. The friends. My husband. The house in DC. Summers in DC. Black folks. Catering events. Back deck BBQs. Laurol Plaza. Rosa Mexicana. Busboys and Poets. Oh the list could go on and on.

But being here in Seattle has grown on me. I have a lake view that wakes me up every morning. I walk 3 miles everyday on the lake. There is a great organic market very close the house. Seattle has Pikes Market (produce is wonderful) and some of the best Salmon in the States. It's 2 and a half hours away from Vancouver BC and 2 hours from tax free shopping in Oregon. There is a rain forest and three mountains to climb and ski on. The flight to San Fran is only 2 hours and not too expensive to fly. My parents, brother and niece are here. I have some family in the area. And...there are more black folks here than I thought.

So I am happy to say...Seattle may just be my next home, home. I will keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you have embraced Seattle and focused on the positives, which you always do. With the passing of George Steinbrenner, and any public figure, I am always reminded about the fragility of our lives, and the importance of living it to the fullest. There are no do overs with this one.

    Glad your celebrating your first anniversary. I love you!

    ReplyDelete